Thursday, January 29, 2009

Routine Maintenence

When I was a teen and I needed to fill up the car with gas, I went to a gas station and someone who worked there actually came out to my car window, asked what I needed and promptly serviced the car. They would fill it up, or put in whatever amount and type gas I wanted, wash my windshield, check the oil and other simple routine maintenence stuff. When that was done I paid and went on my way.
Routine car maintenence is a not exactly fun, but necessary, it's protection against potentially damaging repairs and all around a good thing to do. Gas stations today do not provide that service so I am left to myself to do this. I also have some routine maintenence I practice for my life and here are some of the things from my checklist.

1.Spiritually I do my best to have a fully alive relationship with God that overflows into every aspect of my life. How I treat and serve others, how I give of my time, gifts and talents and basically how I live my life for Him and not for myself. It takes time and concentration and being very intentional as well as creative in order to keep it from becoming stale.

2. Physically I try to exercise regularly, stretch, eat pretty healthy foods/drink and get an adequate amount of sleep.

3. Mentally I love to read, and grow intellectually as well as learn new skills and have stimulating conversations with others.

4.Emotionally I keep a close watch on my "joy meter", I use the tools I gained from my years in Recovery Ministry and I do my best to keep my emotional bank account high by scheduling time with the right kinds of people and doing the right kinds of fill 'er up activities. I also journal a lot and that really helps!

5. In my roles, I set monthly specific goals to keep myself motivated, making a difference and to be strategic as I live to the full each day I have here on earth.

So there you go! Simple routine maintenence, it makes a difference! What about you?

No comments: