Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Mentors

Our church has just kicked off the 2012 theme "The Year of Discipleship", I am pretty stoked about it because I am one of those fortunate ones who was formally and informally "discipled", or if you prefer "Mentored". I am so incredibly grateful for the men and women who poured into me, the list is long and I am deeper because of it. One of my catch phrases this year is - "Deep and Wide". What I mean by that is we want to help people go much more deep in their knowledge and handling of God's word and we want them to go wide with this knowledge as they obey the word of God which will impact others and the world.
What about you? Are there people you can point to who spent time with you to grow you up in God? If not, it's never too late and if you have been a follower of God for any length of time, then it's time to get busy and make a difference in someone else's life. Another phrase I will be using is Looking UP for people who are wiser and more knowledgeable than you, Looking Around for those at about the same place who can be Iron Sharpeners and are willing to be with you in the midst. Finally, Looking Below for those younger in the Lord than you who could use whatever you know and help them grow deeper.
Since discipleship is going to be on-going,life long journey let me ask you who is more deep than you, who can help you grow deeper? Come on, who is it, write their name(s) down and get ready to contact them. And while we are at it, who are some people in the same place as you who can be an Iron Sharpener? And finally who can you bring up who is younger than you? They need you! Write these names down, start praying for them and enter into a grow deep and wide relationship.

No comments: