Thursday, October 14, 2010

60 Years is Quite Amazing!




I am flying out of Florida tomorrow to go back to my hometown in Illinois to gather with all of my siblings, my daughters, son in law, their nephews, nieces, their kids and their grandkids to celebrate something truly amazing. My Dad and Mom married each other 60 years ago this month! That's a long time and worth celebrating!!! As with any kid growing up back then there were things I didn't like, that I suffered through, and things I wished were different about my parents and family. It's taken some years of thinking, writing and talking things out to come to a very good and accepting place about my life! And we didn't even have that much dysfunction! But growing up the 4th of 5, and with the 3 ahead me being high achievers and popular didn't make it easy for me since I was neither particularly smart, athletic or popular! I eventually caught up in many ways, but what I KNEW and could count on was that I always had the love and support of my parents and my family. My folks showed love and verbalized it too. And a part of their legacy is the reality that the 5 of us off-spring all love each other deeply, would do anything for each other and those around us, and that we are pretty close!

We are planning a fun and hopefully memorable celebration, a catered dinner, a photographer, an open house, some gifts and speeches! All of this to honor them and they deserve it!!! They have seen a lot happen in history since 1950, they raised 5 kids without microwaves and a dishwasher, we had one car for many years, one tv without a remote control, we shared rooms. There were Dr. and Dentist visits they probably could not afford, Christmas and birthday presents that made any luxuries impossible, and sacrifice was a regular part of their lives. Most of our vacations were spent visiting relatives or camping,and we didn't mind at all. I can't imagine what it was like paying for school supplies and clothes at the beginning of each school year! My Dad worked a factory job even though he truly wanted to be a history teacher, and my Mom worked mostly as a Florist. I can't imagine they had much money left over after a trip to the grocery store, but we never lacked for anything. They loved on as best they knew how, made sure we were honest and respectful and didn't swear, or we would get our mouth's washed out with Ivory soap. They came to our sporting events (well Mom didn't, she couldn't stand watching). They even put a couple of us through college even though they never went.

In just a few words - they were rock steady and always could be counted on. They remained faithful to each other even though they are two very different people. As we gather this weekend there will be 4 generations of Conklin's and a long and wonderful legacy passed on! Here's to you Don and Dorothy Conklin, congratulations on 60 years of marriage, that is quite amazing and so are you Dad and Mom!

No comments: