Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Physcial vs. Inner Pain

I am one of those guys who thinks he knows how to handle pain, though I am small in stature, I can say I am pretty adept at blocking out pain in order to achieve a goal. Sports are a great way to learn pain blocking/management and wrestling is a pretty good test compared to other sports. I started wrestling in 4th grade in gym class and then it turned into intramurals and then traveling teams, all the way to District, Regional and National tournaments. I had the chance to compete in college and on our team every guy was extremely good in high school, which meant talk was cheap and there was no place to hide. We had National Champions and plenty of All Americans, I was not one of them! When times got tough some guys feigned injury in order to get a break from the intense workouts. Ocassionally I did, I am not proud of it.
There is physical pain and then the other kind (emotional/mental/spiritual), we all have endurance levels, tolerances we can hit and some we just can't get past. I am not sure what my levels are but to this point I have not wilted/quit yet! There sure have been plenty of tests, especially lately! Last night and today I hit the wall. I was angry, sad and disappointed and honestly wasn't well inside. I wasn't going to hide my pain, so with a trusted friend I shared my pain. He knew I wasn't myself and I appreciate that he lived out "weep with those who weep and rejoice with those who rejoice." Romans 12:15.
This too shall pass, but one thing I have learned and continue to do is show up and be authentic rather than mask or stuff. I was a great stuffer, and again not something I am proud of! I know I have to "get it together" and want to, but last night and today was just one of those days I would have rather dealt with phyiscal pain than the emotional/spiritual kind. I know how to do the first much better than the second. But I am getting better at the second! Progress not perfection. I want to leave you with a couple thoughts when it comes to dealing with any kind of pain.

1. Isolation is NEVER good, don't leave yourself alone - show up with a trusted friend. Perspective is one of the least expensive tools you have and it's always one of the richest if the person; Knows you well, loves you much and is willing to speak the truth in love to you. Proverbs says "wise people seek the counsel of many", it's where we get the saying two heads are better than one.

2. Be real, be honest and be really honest!

3. Don't let too much time lapse before working toward any kind of resolution or you will leave a small opening for the enemy to get in your mind/heart! Do not make agreements with yourself in your weak moments!

I will get through the pain, (the options are not good otherwise) but I will be authentic enough to share my pain! If all we ever do is share our victories with others, most will feel like failures. Most of life is made up of setbacks but most of what we tell others our only of our victories. Not a good thing! Thanks for reading!

No comments: