Tuesday, March 31, 2009

What Fragrance Are You?


We all have a scent, our own smell if you will. When I think of my Grandfather I always think of his pipe smell and the aroma of fresh baked bread, he loved to bake bread. I used to visit my cousins in Indiana who lived on a farm, and those smells were very pungent at first, but they grew on me to the point I barely noticed them later!

In II Corinthians 2:14-16 the Apostle Paul tells us we are the fragrance of Christ. Everywhere we go we are an aroma of God, to God, and to those who have a saving relationship with Him. Even to those who are not yet rightly connected to Him. Paul goes on to say that to others we are like the stench of someone dead and decaying (think dead animal). To others we are like the smell of life (think Spring when grass and flowers and trees are blooming).

Most adults have a favorite fragrance we spray on to smell good. Most of us can tell the difference between something very expensive and something pretty cheap. Then there are the older people who like take a shower in it and you can smell 'em a mile away....ha ha. In any case we all leave behind a scent, but what kind? For me in every situation with every person I want to leave the life giving aroma of God's love and grace, His forgiveness and mercy to all who I am exposed to. I can only do that by consistently being in His presence, "eating" His words, chewing on them and desiring them to become a part of me. I need to be filled with Him so much that He overflows, He comes out of my pores and leaves an aroma. We are commanded to make the most of every opportunity we have with everyone. How about you? What fragrance do you leave behind as your scent?

As I close I want to share a recent tragic story. I worked with a guy named Pat, his formal name was Pastor. As far as I could tell through lots of time spent with him working and hanging out, Pat was not a friend of God, he was full of life, generous as all get out, and a family man for sure. But Pat had a lifestyle that was not altogether one lived to please God. I went out with him less than 2 weeks ago and have always tried to be a God aroma if you will. Last Monday I got a call that Pat died in a 1 car accident, he was driving fast, turned too sharp, flipped his car and was ejected. He died! Besides the shock and sadness of the void he leaves for his wife, daughter, family and friends is the distinct possibility he may not be spending eternity in paradise! You and I never know if this day will be our last, or the last of those we love, but we must, I must live intentionally to be a fragrant aroma, not a stench of judgemental, narrow minded, graceless and self-righteous know it alls, but full of grace and peace and love and truth!

No comments: