Monday, October 15, 2012

Getting away is a great practice, here's why.

My wife and I were able to get away this past Friday morning until Sunday night at Winshape Retreat in Rome, Georgia. I cannot begin to tell you how good it was for us and each other, it was an absolute gift (thank you Bubba and Dan Cathy)! Normally, I am not "needing" a vacation because I am a joyful person and I do a lot of self-care/soul-care and that makes me not need to get away. But some seasons of life are harder than others and lately I had lost a good deal of my joy. Here are some reasons it is important to take regular time to get away.

Getting away brings perspective! When you are in the midst of life you can lose perspective it's just that simple. Another way to get perspective is to have some wise people speak into your life who do not live too close to you but can offer wisdom and advice. Either way, you and I need perspective. It's that feeling you get when you are 30,000 feet in the air and you fly over familiar places, everything looks different than on the ground.

Getting away disconnects you from normal routine. Routine/discipline are good things that bring order, function and productivity, but getting out of routine allows time to see life differently and can cause you to answer the question - "Why do I do what I do?" and "Can I do what I do better than I am doing it now?"

Getting away brings refreshment. Karyn and I were able to have fun, do things we wouldn't normally do, and that is so good for the soul. Even if it is outside your comfort zone, adventure is good for you and I. Seeing new places, meeting new people and doing new things refreshes us.

There are other reasons to get away but those are a couple quick thoughts. I close with this challenge. Getting away will not just happen, you and I MUST be intentional about it. Chances are you KNOW you need to get away and you are likely thinking there is no way you can with demands, finances and whatever else has got you tethered, but I am exhorting you to make time to get away, you will be glad you did! I know I am!!

No comments: