Saturday, December 31, 2011

The Year of Jubilee

2011 is over in just a few more hours and as most of us will look back for awhile and then look forward with hope and anticipation. When looking backward, a good majority of people will have regrets. It's normal, it may have been those pounds that didn't come off, or the bank account didn't grow like we'd hoped, or maybe the people we'd hoped to finally connect with on a consistent basis, we just couldn't find the right time for. Then there are some people who will look back and are very happy about the way the year turned out. Maybe that's you, and you practiced the disciplines that were necessary to lose that weight, found ways to save money in order that your savings account is now in a healthier place, you connected with that friend or family member and you stuck to it and now you've celebrated.
Some things we plan for and they happen, and some things we don't follow through on and they don't happen. Then there is God's favor, which contrary to some TV evangelists, is a mystery that we cannot make happen by sending in a donation and getting some specially blessed prayer clothe. Much of God is a mystery and accepting that is just a good idea! This past year for me was all about God's blessing. For the last several years I sought God for a verse, and a theme for each coming year. And He as answered. Corny as they sound here are some of them that my good friend Tim and I came up with.
"It will be heaven in 07'"
"It will be great in 08'"
"It will be divine in 09'"

Tim and I have formed a kind of pact with one another that we would be there for each other no matter what. Sort of like men who fought in foxholes on the front-lines and heard bullets next to their ears. So as we shared our deep desires, prayers and hopes and we would take time to pray and fast. Sometimes these fasts would last several days, even more. We were foxhole brothers. I stood by him and he did the same! Lots of listening and some hard conversations, but that's they way it should be.

Onto 2011. A Bible verse I really put to memory and meditated on was Psalm 37:4
"Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart." All commands in the Bible come with a promise, in this case delight yourself in God, (the command), He will give you the desires of your heart,(the promise). God took it further and communicated to me that this year would be a "Year of Jubilee" I wasn't sure what that meant, but I shared it with Tim and we committed it to God and prayed like crazy. God showed up!! Many, many people I know saw God do some amazing things. Not everyone for sure, in fact for some it was the opposite. But I know that for many it was an amazing year. As I said, God is mostly a mystery and I cannot really explain how I heard from God but I KNOW I did. Here is a short list of my Jubilee blessings and of some that others experienced.

* I moved from Florida to North Carolina to serve as Life Groups Pastor at Southbrook Church. I had been out of full time ministry while God chiseled away some things in my life and character.
* I got married to Karyn whom I love with all my heart, we are best friends and basically waited on God for His perfect timing. We waited 6 plus years. That's a long time, but she is worth it and so is what we have now! We are so happy and amazed!
* My youngest daughter graduated from college with two majors and did so with high honors and worked a job as a Debate Coach at Whitney Young High School in Chicago.
* My oldest daughter and her husband left N.E.Georgia for the Mile High City of Denver without knowing anyone, trekked out there to pursue Graduate School. They have had a hard year but it has brought them closer to each other and to God and though they wished their current circumstances were different, when it's all said and done, they will have seen how good this hard time will have been for them. I am so proud of them both!
* Tim left full time church ministry to be launched in a National Marriage Ministry. This was something he had been praying for several years!
* My friend Alma got a great job after being in a job that was not using her true talents and gifts. Her sister, who was not able to get pregnant, along with her husband got to adopt a boy and within just a few months after that they got pregnant. So instead of no babies, her and her husband now have two.
* My wife's son got his graduate degree from a prestigious program near Boston and he won Teacher of the Year honors in the school district he teaches at in Florida.
* My wife's daughter took a courageous step and left the company she worked for several years to follow her passion by starting a Flower Company and it's thriving.

The list really could go on for quite awhile and these are just a few highlights. Whatever happens in 2012 I know that God will still be a mystery, but by faith we can take our hopes and dreams to Him and that practicing disciplines is also a great way to bring about the results and desires we have. But I also know that every good and perfect gift comes from God. He longs for us to delight in Him and He longs to give us the desires of our hearts. It's just that sometimes we must wait on His timing and be willing to trust Him completely if He says no! Only God knows how hard I trusted Him for what I had prayed for and I know that the intimacy and honesty we gained in our relationship with one another is not replaceable. Not even close! Happy New Year to you, and thank you God, I will take great care of all you have blessed me with. And by the way, this year's verse is Galatians 5:25 - look it up!

No comments: